Friday, October 10, 2008

Online Collaboration and Communication

On Wednesday, October 8, I set up a wiki, which I hope the student podcasters will use to keep a record of which podcast segments they've already recorded, as well as writing down their ideas for future podcast segments. In order to make sure that everything written on the wiki is on topic and appropriate, I've set it up so only Ms. Howard and I can sign in to edit the page. I asked Ms. Howard if she would supervise the students as they make entries on the page.

Here's a link to the wiki: http://originalpodfather.wikispaces.com/

As the students demonstrate that they are able to make posts appropriately, we may decide to give them access to the site. But since this is a work in progress, we want to take one step at a time. I don't know the students well enough to know their level of maturity. I hope that they will demonstrate responsibility and earn the right to make edits directly onto the wiki page.

I also asked Ms. Howard to have her students add some comments to this blog. We want them to record their feelings about the process so far. This is also a way for them to provide input about the podcast.

I'd like to turn this into a project where the students collaborate online as they work on creating and producing the podcast.

No comments: